Monday, 3 December 2012

Mailbox vs Inbox.

Do you think sending handwritten cards is fast becoming a thing of the past? Is it becoming virtually extinct like letter writing? I had a pen pal when I was in primary school and i was always excited to receive a letter in our mailbox (vs inbox!).  And my boys still love getting letters and birthday cards in the mail from their Grandparents. Thankfully, the boys are still too young to have an "inbox".

In this e-age of ours, we post messages on our friends' walls to wish them a happy birthday. Or we send text messages to say hello. Don't get me wrong, I do it too! But I love receiving cards from friends who write just to say hello. 

What's even more special is when you receive a handmade card. Call me sentimental, but if someone gives me a handmade card, I find it hard to discard it because I know they have taken the time to make it with their hands and their heart. 

I have been a busy bee doing some cardmaking of my own. Here are some cards that i have made recently.

This Best Wishes card features the Comfort Cafe designer series paper and the 1cm stitched satin ribbon in Summer Starfruit (p172) from Stampin' Up! All of the Designer Series Papers in the Stampin' Up! catalogue is listed with the colours combinations used so you can easily coordinate your card stock when making your cards.  

Cardstock: Midnight Muse, Very Vanilla, Soft Suede.  Designer Series Paper: Comfort Cafe.
Stamp Set: Short and Sweet (retired). Inks: Soft Suede.
Accessories: 1cm Stitched Satin Ribbon in Summer Starfruit, dimensionals.

I made this Wedding Wishes card for my friends Katie and Nick who recently had an absolute dream wedding in Bora Bora. A beautiful location to celebrate the beginning of their marriage. 

For this card, I used the Melon Mambo cardstock which is the same colour as what I used when I made their wedding invitations.  I stamped the image with the Easy Events stamp set (p34) using VersaMark, sprinkled the white embossing powder on top, and then used my heat tool to set it. I punched out the image with the decorative label punch (p182) and added some glitter to the love birds' wings.



Cardstock: Crumb Cake, Melon Mambo, Very Vanilla.  Stamp Set: Easy Events, Parlor Prints background stamp.
Inks: VersaMark. Accessories: White Embossing Powder, Pearl Basic Jewels, Dazzling Diamonds Glitter.

In my last post, I used the Patio Party Designer Series Paper to makeover a scrapbook layout.  Here I used it to make birthday cards. 

I really love the new Midnight Muse and Summer Starfruit in-colours, which go well together for those more masculine cards. I think most of the Patio Party prints could be substituted into this card design and still work with the Summer Starfruit stitched satin ribbon. The greeting was stamped with the Sincere Salutations stamp set (retired) with VersaMark and then heat embossed with white embossing powder.

Cardstock: Midnight Muse, Raspberry Ripple, Baja Breeze.  Designer Series Paper: Patio Party.
Stamp Set: Sincere Salutations (retired). Inks: VersaMark.
Accessories: 1cm Stitched Satin Ribbon in Summer Starfruit, White Embossing Powder.

I made this For Baby card (right) earlier this year for beautiful baby Isla. A good friend of mine who I went to uni with had been working in San Francisco and was returning with her hubby and new baby! I had seen photos of Isla and she was one cute baby so I was super excited to meet her (and catch up with my friend too!).

I used the Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder (p189) with the Big Shot to create the dots on the top half of the card, and then used the Subtles Collection Designer Series Paper Stack (p162) for the bottom half of the card. You can see how easily you can create a personalised card simply by cutting out the baby's name with alphabet dies through the Big Shot.

Cardstock: Pink Pirouette, Pretty in Pink, Rose Red, Soft Suede.  Designer Series Paper Stack: Subtles Collection.
Stamp Set: Easy Events (p34). Inks: Rose Red.  Accessories: Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder (p189) 

This Thank You card uses the Reason to Smile stamp set which I received as part of an awesome promotion Stampin' Up! was running earlier this year (so lucky!). I love cherry blossoms and they were my inspiration when creating this card.

The stamp set came with the outline of the flowers, and another stamp for shading the inside of the flowers.  I used the Two-Step Stampin' technique to create this card.  I left a few of the flowers with just the outline to allow for some variation. This card is very simple to make and I like the simplicity of it.

Cardstock:Whisper White, Soft Suede.  Stamp Set: Reason to Smile (retired), Short and Sweet (retired).
Inks: Melon Mambo. Accessories: Sponge Daubers.

My youngest is off to school next year, so i have been feeling a little sentimental and clingy on his days off from kindy! We made this card together for one of his kindy friends. 

He chose the stamp from the Easy Events Stamp Set, and even stamped it himself. The card stock he chose was Baja Breeze and as you can see, he drew in the lines on the side to give that "stapled" look. I helped him stick the papers and he finished it off by colouring it in with his felt pens. 

Just goes to show how easy it is to make a cute card with some nice card stock and a few versatile stamps.

Cardstock:Whisper White, Soft Suede, Baja Breeze.  Stamp Set: Easy Events (p34) Inks: Soft Suede 

All materials used for making the cards in this post are from Stampin' Up! so if you would like to recreate any of these cards, you can place an order for the materials with me.  

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you have been inspired to make a card, or send a card to a friend or loved one today. Feel free to leave a message, would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving your comments and appreciate them muchly.