Saturday, 2 May 2015

INSPIRING MY EVERYDAY | Meet Suzanne.

Welcome to the last instalment of interviews with some of the people in my life who inspire my everyday. See other interviews here.

Meet Suzanne, owner of Yogababy. 



I met Suzanne when I joined her Prenatal Yoga classes almost 11 years ago. Like many first time mums, I wanted a natural birth without intervention, unless medical intervention was needed for a safe birth and healthy baby.

Suzanne inspires me with her passion and dedication to empower women by igniting their inner wisdom to birth naturally, using yoga and mind-body techniques.

I also admire Suzanne's commitment to self-love by eating well, keeping fit and active, nurturing her own spiritual wellbeing, and knowing when she needs to allow herself to rest and let go, all whilst managing a busy yoga studio AND teaching classes and workshops.

Let's find out a bit more about Suzanne.

Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

I've been practicing yoga since my 20's and was inspired to teach yoga after the birth of my son in 1995.  I was raised in Darwin and the Gold Coast and have spent time travelling around Australia (I ended up living in Fremantle, WA for 10 years) and have been to wonderful places in the world as well.  

I completed a Postgraduate Degree in Psychology and worked for awhile with the Salvation Army and Community Volunteer Services in the early 90's.  My turning point was when I became an Environmental Activist and left my full time work to volunteer.  Yoga and my drive to save the Planet became my passions and they have been very instrumental in where I am today.  

I am lucky that I have a natural business mind and have been able to grow the Yogababy business in a sustainable way...I couldnt have done all this without the loving support of my partner of 22 years, Damian and my children, Bodhi (20) and Amrta (17).




What is your favourite childhood memory that makes you smile?

Spending time at Kuta beach in Bali when I was seven years old.  My brother and I loved that we didn't have to go to school and could spend all our time by the ocean. 

What did you do before Yogababy, and what was the driving force for you starting your business?

Before Yogababy, I worked with At Risk Youth for the Salvation Army and was a Volunteer Environmental Campaigner for the Wilderness Society.  The driving force for starting Yogababy was my passion for Yoga and my children.  It seemed the next best step towards following my ideals!


What are the qualities you most admire about your partner?

His capacity to really listen and understand what it is like for the people he cares for.  He is very steadfast and doesn’t give up. 

Who is someone who inspires you and why?

I am inspired by my friend Sarah Buckley, who writes and speaks internationally about birth and our planet. Her daughter Zoe inspires me as she just spent 4 days attached to an Oil Rig which is on its way to mine the Artic to highlight to the world that the oil would not be accessible if it was not for climate change. 


What is the most rewarding and the most challenging part of your work?

My most rewarding experience is seeing the babies and mums when they return after giving birth to tell their stories in the yoga classes.  Having other pregnant mums witnessing their journey is amazing and very unique.

The most challenging part is responding to emails when pregnancy and birth doesn't go well and leaves our mums and babies compromised.

What has been the most challenging thing in your life and what positive lessons have come from it?

Having children has been the most challenging experience...such a whirlwind of changes both emotionally and physically.  I really respect life and trust that our children will inherently grow into emotionally resilient and intelligent human beings if we nurture them well.

It has been said that children are our greatest teachers. What has motherhood taught you?

Motherhood has taught me to trust..myself, my partner, my children...to surrender to flow of the family and just let things turn out well. 


Can you share one of your proudest moments?

My son turned 20 years old today.  Last year he attended a yoga and meditation retreat with me on his birthday.  He was so present to the practices and fully helped out in the kitchen.  

Lastly, what would you friends describe as being the qualities they love most about you?

I’m passionate, kind and supportive  

Thank you Suzanne for your time today. It's wonderful how dedicated you are to helping women trust the wisdom of their own bodies, not just in birth and parenthood, but in everyday life.



Find out more about Yogababy here: 
Website: www.yogababy.com.au
Facebook: yogababy

I hope you have enjoyed this INSPIRING MY EVERYDAY series. 

Look out for some new layouts coming soon to the blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving your comments and appreciate them muchly.