Wednesday, 6 November 2013

ON MY MIND | Gratitude Rocks

GRATITUDE (noun) The quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation and to return kindness.

I am a big fan of gratitude. I think that if there was more gratitude in today's busy and often impatient society, there would be less road rage and less people would be clipped in the heels by shopping trolleys.

Finding small blessings in our everyday lives can help slowly pull us out of the depths of sadness and reignite our zest for life.

Have a look at this video about a book called 365 Gratefuls and be inspired!

365grateful.com from hailey bartholomew on Vimeo.


BRINGING GRATITUDE INTO OUR EVERYDAY:

Gratitude eventually becomes second nature. Like anything else, it takes practice. And like I tell my boys, the more you practice, the easier it gets.

I still get overwhelmed, but I am learning to see everyday moments for what it is, and with a positive spin. This can be very liberating and for want of a better word, a relief as we learn to simply LET GO and appreciate. 

Here are some examples of what I mean:

EXAMPLE 1: You get stuck in a traffic jam, bumper to bumper driving home from work. 
OPTION A: Get cranky and frustrated that you are wasting time sitting in traffic.
OPTION B: Make the most of the situation, crank up your radio and sing your heart out (maybe wind up the windows first if you are shy). Or just sit and BREATHE. Appreciate your little bit of down time. 

EXAMPLE 2: You are bursting to finish a crafting project Saturday afternoon but the kiddies want to watch a movie with you.
OPTION A: Tell them you have a project to finish and to watch it on their own.
OPTION B: Be thankful your kiddies love spending time with you and enjoy the moment of togetherness with them. Snuggle up and enjoy.

EXAMPLE 3: It's Saturday morning and you have the entire week's washing to hang out on the line.
OPTION A: Grumble to yourself that the washing is never ending and what a nuisance it is to do this every weekend.
OPTION B: As you take your washing outside, enjoy the sunshine and admire what a beautiful day it is. And how awesome is it that sunshine is nature's best sanitiser so your clothes will be extra clean, not to mention doing the environment a huge favour by avoiding the dryer.



GRATITUDE AND PROJECT LIFE:

I was inspired by the video clip and considered doing a photo gratitude journal for 365 days.

So I started to plan how this project would fit into what I am currently doing in terms of Project Life. Then it hit me. Project Life is my take on 365 Gratefuls!

I am already recording everyday moments with photos and journalling. I may not take a photo every day, but the things I do photograph and record helps me celebrate all the things that I am blessed with.

Project Life also offers us the the opportunity to reflect, find the positives, and give thanks for things such as:

- the life of a loved one;
- a precious moment shared;
- an obstacle overcome;
- a personal achievement succeeded;
- the beauty of the natural world around us; or 
- a life lesson learnt. 

I am sure there are more we can add to the list. What's on your gratitude list?

If you have read this far, THANK YOU! I hope you have been inspired to continue finding more blessings in your life every day xx

  

1 comment:

  1. This right here Sue, this is an amazing post and I love it, and loved reading it!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your comments and appreciate them muchly.