Saturday, 13 December 2014

IN MY KITCHEN | Deliciously Addictive Granola



I love food. And it seems like a lifetime ago when I was able to eat whatever I wanted. 

I confess to having McDonald's sausage muffins with an icy cold coke for breakfast every morning on my way to University, followed by either Pizza Hut, KFC or more McDonalds for lunch on the way home.

Fortunately about 14 years ago, my body told me in a not so polite way that it had taken all it could with my less than self loving eating habits, by blessing me with full on allergies and food intolerances. Yes, I did say fortunately and blessed. I feel lucky my body told me so early on what it didn't like.

Now, I eat whole foods that are nourishing for my body, admittedly sneaking in the occasional potato chip (I'm only human!). 

I get excited about foods that are high in minerals. Like the humble pumpkin seed that is a little pocket rocket full of magnesium, manganese, copper, zinc and iron. 

Bring in something that is nutritious, delicious and easy to prepare, and you've got my attention. 

This granola is all that. I was inspired by this recipe here but took out certain ingredients to cater for my and my boys'  diets.

INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/8 cup sesame seeds (too much makes the granola bitter)
- 3/4 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup (maybe just under) preservative free desiccated coconut 
- 2 tablespoons of honey*
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil*  
- 1/8 teaspoon of himalayan sea salt 
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon

* 1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons

STEP 1: Preheat fan forced oven to 150 C (fan forced). Pulse pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and almonds until they are roughly chopped. Do not over blend otherwise you will end up with flour.

STEP 2: Transfer into a mixing bowl. Add desiccated coconut, sea salt and cinnamon and combine well.

STEP 3: Melt honey and coconut oil in a small saucepan.

STEP 4: Add melted honey-coconut oil mixture into dry ingredients and combine thoroughly.




STEP 5: Line a large shallow baking dish with baking paper and spread mixture. Use the back of a tablespoon to make sure all the ingredients are nicely compacted. This will help the ingredients stick together in the baking process.

STEP 6: Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, remove from oven and give everything a stir. Use the back of a tablespoon and press down of the ingredients again before returning to the oven for another 10 minutes until golden brown. Make sure you keep a close eye on it in the last 5 minutes so it doesn't burn. 

STEP 7: Allow to cool fully before storing in an airtight glass container. 


It should keep well for a week but it doesn't last 2 days at my house. Serve with milk, or use as a topping for yoghurt/fruit or eat by the spoonful straight from the jar.

Hope you like it as much as we do! xx

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing a recipe that is not loaded with sugar. I have arthritis and other inflammatory problems and have been eliminating the majority of sugar and processes food from my diet ( as you said we are only human and have the odd slip up but I have cut sugar back by 90% 80% of the time, sometimes the other way around, lol)

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your comments and appreciate them muchly.