Monday, 13 April 2015

INSPIRING MY EVERYDAY | Meet my husband

Today I am kicking off a series of interviews with some of the people in my life who inspire my everyday. 

I'd love for you to get to know these amazing people who support and inspire me to be the best me I can be.


Meet my husband. I call him Sammy.

He is a good person. Like, he really really is. He has the kindest heart, makes me laugh, is one of the smartest people I know, and he is the most awesomest Dad.

Sammy is a gun at design, especially branding design, and he has taught me everything I know. I can also confirm he has the patience of a saint.

My pixel pushing husband inspires me with his creativity, knowledge and his support and encouragement for me to design and document our lives.


So here’s a little Q&A with the hubby (ps. he's a man of few words so answers are short and sweet). 

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself in a few sentences.

I am a dedicated father, husband, designer, and catcher of fish. 



2. What is one of your favourite memories from your childhood?

I don't have any particular memories that stand out above others. But I remember travelling and holidays fondly. I particularly remember camping in the Whitsundays when I was about 11, and driving long stints in the car while looking at the countryside and landscapes.

3. What do you love most about being a Dad?

There isn't one thing I can isolate. It is the whole package of being a dad. 



4. Your wife (me, lol) uses printed photos, papers, stamps and handwritten journalling to document your life as a family. On the other hand, your designs are digital or professionally printed. What are your thoughts on printed photos in albums versus printed photobooks?

I prefer something that is hand crafted rather than something that is mass printed. It has more personality and is more personal and meaningful.

5. Who is someone that inspires you and why?

It's my wife. Seeing her struggle so hard with her health everyday for nearly a decade, yet still push through everyday and not give up is the most inspiring thing I have ever seen in my life. 

6. If money was no object, describe what your life would be like for you and your family?

Chillin' with the kids and wifey, holidays at home and overseas, and plenty of fishing and boating.



7. You ran your own design business for 10 years. What was the most rewarding and most challenging part about having your own business?

The most rewarding was to see that I wasn't a statistic that folded in the first 1-3 years. It was also rewarding running my business at home during the boys' formative years, and being there for them. The most challenging was the day to day business related activities. But mostly it was not having a consistent cash flow.

8. What has been the most challenging life experience you have had and what have you learnt from it?

Seeing my wife struggle with her health and being unable to significantly help, and struggling with the effects of that on myself and our family. 

I learnt that despite how hopeless a situation may seem, things can change and get better.


9. Can you share one of your proudest moments? 

When I saw my eldest son almost completely solve a rubiks cube at age 10 in under a minute, with no help. At that point I knew my son was already smarter than me.

10. Lastly, what would you say are your three most admirable qualities?

Good dad, loyal and rational.


Thanks for that Sammy! Aww, feeling loved right now.

Although Sam is now working for a fab design agency, if you are interested, you can see some of his personal portfolio here.

Another guest coming soon so keep an eye out!

1 comment:

  1. what a beautiful interview! your hubby is awesome :) and you have such a beautiful family. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your comments and appreciate them muchly.