Thursday, 29 May 2014

IN MY KITCHEN | My Obsession with Chicken Bone Broth.



I am obsessed with Homemade Chicken Bone Broth. I love it! 

During the past couple of months, I have started a weekly ritual of making my own chicken bone broth every weekend. Aside from it tasting amazing, it is unbelievably healing and full of nutrients that is easier absorbed by the body than taking a supplement.

The large stock pot of bone broth I make does not last long in our house. My youngest asked me if it was "chinese healing soup like what Jackie Chan drinks after a fight". Put it this way - my little man needs time to deliberate when given a choice between soup and chocolate. 


WHY THE BONE BROTH OBSESSION?

I have allergies which present as eczema. Fifteen years ago, the allergies hit me like a tonne of bricks and Dermatologists said they could not help me. Not one to be disheartened, I went on a quest for answers which lead me to an Environmental Medicine doctor who was awesome. Dr Barry (not his real name) told me I had leaky gut syndrome -- also known as gut hyper-permeability. This is essentially what causes food allergies. (Google it to read more)

The most difficult phases of my condition were after the birth of each of my babies. My doctor wanted to hospitalise me. I likened the pain to being severely sunburnt with chickenpox itch. 

Through self nurture, soul searching, commitment and the guidance of a wonderful acupuncturist/mentor/nutritionist/friend, I have my life back! I have the occasional mild flare up, but grateful to feel "almost normal". 

I appreciate the ordinary and "mundane" of my every day more than ever, having experienced the physical inability to do these ordinary every day things when I was unwell. Showering without the water stinging my raw skin is one such ordinary thing I appreciate greatly. 

So here's the thing. Bone Broth HEALS leaky gut! It is all the rage at the moment and for good reason. 

Check out these links to read out more of the amazingness of what I call "liquid gold".

Top 5 Reasons why Bone Broth is the Bomb

Bone Broth - One of Your Most Healing Diet Staples


MY CHICKEN BONE BROTH RECIPE.




The supplies and ingredients I use:

- large stock pot
- enough filtered water to cover the ingredients in the pot
- 1 x large leek* washed and chopped in half
- 2 x onions* quartered
- 4-5 cloves of garlic* peeled
- half bunch of shallots* washed and chopped in half
- 4 organic chicken frames 
- juice of 1 lemon
- sea salt
- Coconut oil

*use organic where possible

Heat a few tablespoons of coconut oil in a stock pot. Add leek, onions, garlic and shallots and fry until lightly browned and fragrant. Add chicken frames and filtered water to cover the ingredients in the pot. Add lemon juice*** and sea salt (I use himalayan sea salt). Increase the heat to high and bring to boil. Skim off the scum (the frothy stuff) that comes to the surface and discard. Turn the heat to low and pop the lid back on the pot. Simmer for 6-8 hours. Strain (I use a sieve) and store in fridge or freezer**. Enjoy!

**please follow food safety precautions regarding the amount of time it is safe to store the broth in the fridge and freezer.
***I use lemon juice instead of apple cider vinegar due to my sensitivity to fermented foods. The lemon juice/vinegar helps draw out the minerals from the bones.


HOW I USE THE BROTH.

I portion and freeze the broth for use in soups, and in general cooking (risottos, stews, gravy etc) where the recipe calls for stock. The glass jars I keep in the fridge as I know I will use them within a few days.

Mostly, we love to drink it straight. I bring it to the boil in a saucepan, season with sea salt to taste and drink it from my favourite soup mug. It's the one pictured above. My eldest son bought it for me at the school Mother's Day Stall a few years ago. I love it.





Homemade Bone Broth is how I am boosting the vitamin/mineral intake for my family. And hopefully healing my gut. 

I am sure there there are plenty of ways to boost our vitamin and mineral intake, but bone broth feels right to me. It is affordable. Easy to make. And it tastes so good!

Let me know if you try it out, would love to hear how you go! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, this looks amazing! I LOVE Asian-style broth so this is truly right up my alley.
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your comments and appreciate them muchly.